Skip to main content
USF Libraries Exhibits

The Sponge Industry: The Sponge Docks

The Sponge Docks Banner Exhibit Side Banner 2

Images from the 1910s show boats moored just off the bank of the Anclote River, but by 1921 there was a wooden dock along what is now Dodecanese Boulevard. By the late 1950s, it was replaced with a cement dock.  Today, sponge boat crews use the Sponge Docks for docking and repairs, parking trucks while loading and unloading boats; and sponge sorting, cleaning, and sales.  Sponge fishermen and others socialize on the Sponge Docks, organizations stage events there, and tourists ramble while observing the spongers at work.